I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- The Intercessor-Guardian
- "This Is My Story: The Gerasene Demoniac" (Mark 5:1-20 sermon)
- Poem: "I Walked A Mile With Pleasure"
- "This Is My Story: Cornelius The Centurion" (Acts 10 Sermon)
- "The Purpose of God's Blessings" (Psalm 67 sermon)
- Psalm 3:3 “Thou O Lord” Part III: “The Lifter of My Head”
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Model Prayer (Part 1) "Begin With Praise"
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: relationship
“Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. SELAH.” (Psalm 62:8 NASB) Psalm 62 opens with a contrast between the wickedness and deceitfulness of men, and the faithful … Continue reading
“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” (John 14:15) Much attention is focused on Jesus’ promise in John 14:14, “If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it”, and rightly so. And yet it is … Continue reading
With baseball season starting this week, I was reading an article on the worst trades in baseball history. There were a number of contenders, but I have to agree with the one they identified as the worst: On December 26, … Continue reading
“The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.” (John 3:35) Mahatma Gandhi, typical of the Eastern religious perspective, described God as a “force.” But we see no such impersonal description of God in scripture. Here … Continue reading
“So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.” (Matthew 6:8) Here Jesus tells His disciples that their prayers are to be different than those of the pagan Gentiles. He had just … Continue reading
“The people whom I formed for Myself will declare My praise.” (Isaiah 42:21) This little verse is packed with insight that should inform and direct each of our lives as God’s people: