I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- The Other Side Of Love
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "The Christian Race" (Hebrews 12:1-2 sermon)
- "This Is My Story: The Woman At The Well" (John 4:1-42 sermon)
- God Doesn't "Owe" You Anything!
- "Four Surprising Signs of Wickedness" (Psalm 10:3-11 sermon)
- When It's Too Late For Repentance
- "The Real Thing: Love Is Patient"
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: commandments
I have heard several people this week say that they are looking forward to the cooler weather that is coming in at the end of the week, and fall — and Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of … Continue reading
After Jesus shared with His disciples the importance of “Abiding in Him” in the first verses of John 15 (“abide in Me … apart from Me, you can do nothing”, etc.) one might ask, “But HOW do I ‘abide in … Continue reading
“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.” (John 14:21) It is … Continue reading
“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” (John 14:15) Much attention is focused on Jesus’ promise in John 14:14, “If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it”, and rightly so. And yet it is … Continue reading
“For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.” (I John 5:3) There is a fallacy in the thinking of many people, that there is a distinction between the “love” of … Continue reading