I served as pastor of Southern Baptist churches in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana for almost 30 years before taking a medical leave from the pastorate in February 2013 due to dysautonomia (POTS) and moving to Norman, Oklahoma. Blessed with renewed health, I was called as Senior Pastor of Pleasant Ridge Baptist in Morganton, NC in February 2015.
In this blog I share daily devotions from my own personal Bible readings, as well as sermons, book reviews, illustrations -- and occasional humorous "peeks" at life inside this pastor's home!
Top Posts & Pages
- "Seeking Him First" (Matthew 6:33 sermon)
- "Following Jesus" (Matthew 4:18-22 sermon)
- The Drink Offering: Don't Waste Your Life
- "How To Seek The Lord" (Isaiah 55:6-7 sermon)
- Joshua 3:5 Sermon: "Preparing For God To Work"
- "This Is My Story: The Philippian Jailer" (Acts 16:25-34 sermon)
- "The Disciple's Character: Purity of Heart" (Matthew 5:8 sermon)
- "The Importance of Forgiving Others" (Matthew 6:14-15 sermon)
- "Binding Up The Brokenhearted"?
- Pray For God To Stir Hearts
- "The Disciple's Character" series (Beatitudes Mt. 5:3-12)
- "The Disciplines of Disciples" series
- "This Is My Story" sermon series
- Book of James Sermons: What Real Faith Looks Like
- Current Events
- Devotions/Bible Studies
- Home & Family Life
- India Mission Trip 2011
- John 3:16 sermon series
- Matthew sermons
- Philippians sermons
- POTS (dysautonomia) articles
- Sermon Illustrations
- The Model Prayer Series
- This Week In Paradise (pastors family blog)
Tag Archives: Romans 8:28
We are fast approaching one year since I first went home sick from prayer meeting on a Wednesday night with what came be to diagnosed as dysautonomia, or POTS. We have employed a wide array of medications and exercises, and … Continue reading
Headlines in Oklahoma today shared the bad news: Whitney Hand, starting guard for the University of Oklahoma women’s basketball team, had torn her left ACL during the game against North Texas the night before. Whitney had previously worked hard to … Continue reading
I first knew something was wrong with me physically in February 2012, when I had to go home sick from prayer meeting. I ended up having to take a medical leave from my duties as pastor, and tried to make … Continue reading
Preachers find illustrations for sermons from every sphere of life, including their own personal experiences and, of course, the hilarious things their children say. Many pastors also glean sermon illustrations in the course of their reading as well. I am currently … Continue reading